Why Visit Thanesar Once in your LifeThanesar is an ancient town with a huge history located on the banks of the Sarsawati Ghaggar river. It is a important Hindu pilgrimage centre of India situate d in Haryana and is located at a distance of about 160 km from Delhi. The name Thanesar is derived from Sthanishvara in Sanskrit which means Abode of the Lord. The name itself says it all. If you want to feel closer to god, this is the place to be.
There are many reasons why you must visit Thanesar once in your life, some of which are listed below
Reasons to Visit ThanesarThe reasons to visit Thanesar once in your life are as follows:
- Thanesar homes the popular tomb of Sufi saint Sheikh Chilli. He used to teach Dara shikoh, who was a prince of Mughal Dynasty. Sheikh Chilli's Tomb highly cultured style of construction is ranked next to the Taj Mahal in North India.
- Thanesar has the holy waters of Saninhit sarovar and Brahma
sarovar.It is extremely holy to dip in these waters in Thanesar as it is
believed to wash all you sins and impurities, especially during Solar
- Pathar Masjid is another reason to visit Thanesar as it is one of the outstanding monuments at Thanesar. This old mosque is a major landmark of the city. The architecture of this Masjid is worth to look at.
- Bhadrakali temple, one of the famous temples of Thanesar is counted among the 51 Shakti Peethas. This temple is worth watching during Navratri as it is lit up with light and people are totally cheered up about the festival with everyone dancing and singing around.
- Narkatari , located at a distance of 1.5 km from Thanesar on Kurukshetra-Pehowa road is a water tank which has been named Bhishma Kund as it is believed to be the place where Bhishma was laid on arrows during Mahabarata war.
- Thanesar is a religious shrine with many temples like Dukha Bhanjan Mahadev Temple and Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple which are the oldest temples of Thanesar. Also Thanesar homes other religious sites like the Sannihit Sarovar, Brahma Sarovar, Gurdwara 6th Patashahi and the Jyotisar.
- God of treasure, Lord Kuber is regarded as the supreme amongst the Yakshas. Kuber Tirtha , is a place on the banks of River Saraswati which has been named after Lord Kuber. There is a belief according to which dip in this holy tirth will make you rich and prosperous.
- Thanesar has four Sikh Gurudwaras made in the memory of Guru Hargovind ji, Guru Harkishan ji, Guru Har Rai ji, Guru Govind Singh ji and Guru Tegh Bahadur ji. The four Gurudwaras are Dasvin Patshahi, Navin Patshahi, Satvin Patshahi and Tisari. You must take blessings here at Gurudwara.
- Thanesar should also be visited during Gita Jayanthi festival which is celebrated in November- December in the sarovar. The most important day of this festival is the Amavasya night during which the devotees perform the ceremony of floating lit up diyas in the Sarovar water and the aarti organised during this festival makes a spectacular view.
- Baisakhi is another festival celebrated with great enthusiasm. To see the high spirits of the people during this festival, you must visit Thanesar.
- Last but not the least, food is a very tempting reason of why you should not miss on visiting this place. You must enjoy eating Chole Bhature, Makke di roti, Sarson da saag, lassi, Kachoris, Samosa etc on various restaurant and Dhabas in this city. This food will leave you drooling.
There are many reasons to visit this place, but the connection that you feel here with the almighty will cleanse you internally to lead a peaceful life. So be at peace in Thanesar!